Welcome to the 2017 first Edition of the National Minerals Agency (NMA) Newsletter. As you are aware, the President of the Republic of Sierra Leone, His Excellency Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma, on the 8th of March 2013 formally launched the NMA to promote the development of the minerals sector by effectively and efficiently managing the administration of mineral rights and minerals trading in Sierra Leone, to provide technical support to the mining industry including geological survey and data collection activities, to enforce mining laws and policies and promote good relations between mining companies and local communities.
As a transparent Agency, we believe in providing the public with regular updates on our activities. In this edition, we present highlights of the 1st Edition January – June 2017:
- 709.41 Carats Diamond to be Auctioned in Antwerp and Tel Aviv
- Minister of Mines visits Sierra Leone’s first underground Mine
- World Bank Pledges more support to the Minerals Sector
- Director General shares experience on Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining with Global Mining Executives
- Mining Transparency: NMA takes the Lead
- Stakeholders meet to combat fraudulent activities in the Minerals Sector
- Two Mining Companies sign Development Agreements with Local Communities
- Mining Companies pay over Le.6 Billion to Landowners
- British Geologists provide Training for NMA Geologists
…..and much more.
Please download the full edition here