DATE OF ISSUE: 12th September 2017
Procurement Number: NMA/PMT/RFP/001/2017
The National Minerals Agency desires to engage firms for the provision of Independent Diamond Valuation Services and now requests for proposals from all qualified and certified Independent Diamond Valuation (IDV) companies who wish to submit applications/proposal for the provision of these services to the National Minerals Agency.
Scope of Task to be performed
- Ascertain the international market value of the diamonds produced in Sierra Leone.
- Provide and maintain modern electronics valuation system to be used by the Precious Minerals Trading Directorate (PMT) of the National Minerals Agency (NMA).
- Undertake unbiased market intelligence on the global diamond industry and advise on the effect that the changes in the world market of rough diamond prices may have on the rough diamond market in Sierra Leone
- Prepare and submit reports and statistical information on parcels of diamond presented for valuation as well as suspected anomalies in the price and quality of the diamonds
- Must carry out Capacity Building of PMT staff in diamond sorting and valuing, including market assortments and other related diamond matters. The training should cover both rough, and uncut diamonds.
- Advise on policy, appropriate frameworks for legislative/administrative diamond operation
- Advise on issues relating to facilities and equipment used by PMT, methods used to clean diamonds and valuation methods; and
- Provide independent expert testimony with respect to the valuation of diamonds for any court proceedings when necessary.
Note: The Independent Diamond Valuation of the successful firm should be independent of PMTD in terms of pricing. However, the firm should work closely with the PMT Directorate in terms of implementing valuation policies as established by the National Minerals Agency from time to time.
Also have close cooperation and consultations with other relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), the private sector diamond operators and other stake holders.
Qualification and Experience
Interested Institutions should provide information demonstrating that they have the qualifications and relevant experience to carry out the required task. The prospective Institutions must provide relevant details of their experience in managing similar tasks and must have worked in Africa and in countries with similar conditions as Sierra Leone.
Interested Institutions should prepare and submit their expressions of interest, including the following information:
- Name of firm(s) and legal status
- Team of Valuers that must be accredited Diamond Valuers with a minimum relevant work experience of 10 years and the Team Leader must be a certified Valuer with relevant qualifications of 15 years relevant work experience. The Team leader must have worked in Africa and in countries with similar conditions as Sierra Leone.
- Firm’s strategy and mission
- Contact details for primary contact point
Description of Relevant Experience
- Details of experience in carrying out the task.
- Track record in the provision of similar service.
- Understanding of the needs and challenges aligned with, in carrying out the assigned task
- Any other experience or capacity as may require.
The EOI must remain valid for ninety (90) days after submission date.
The short-listing criteria are:
- Firms Experience relevant to the Assignment
- Competency/Qualification of the Team relevant to the Assignment
- Most competitive submission
This REOI will lead to the preparation of Short list of Firms
Expressions of Interest may take any format to represent the firms’ qualifications and experience. Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below in person by 13th October 2017 on or before 2:00 pm.
The Procurement Unit
Finance & Administration Directorate
National Minerals Agency
New England Ville