On 20th and 21st February 2013, members of the Board of Directors and Senior Management staff of the NMA organized a two-day strategic planning retreat in Makeni, to reflect on the task ahead of the Agency and devise strategies to ensure success. After all the deliberations, it was agreed that for the NMA to live up to the expectations of Sierra Leoneans and ensure that the people enjoy maximum benefits from our mineral resources, the Agency must realize the following strategic objectives:
- Accelerate the economic development of the minerals sector;
- Maximize Government revenue from minerals sector activity;
- Ensure that all mining companies fully comply with all agreements, policies, laws and regulations pertaining to the sector; including the payment of all royalties and taxes, as well as developing the communities where they operate and providing employment opportunities to qualified Sierra Leoneans;
- Promote and enforce responsible & sustainable minerals management, exploration, mining and trading;
- Become a global leader in mining transparency and accountability;
- Be a world-class, high-performance industry regulator and service provider.